Belonging to a Common Change group is a revolutionary way that we can contribute to needs in our community – and draw in others to support too.
Shane Claiborne, founder The Simple Way, author The Irresistible Revolution.
Starting a new Common Change group is a really exciting way to be part of the growing Common Change community. Before we take you through the start-up process we’ll briefly outline for you what being part of a group involves:
1. Growing a Common Fund
- You are forming a group of generous friends who have each decided to give money regularly into a ‘common fund’.
- A common fund is essentially a shared pot that your group has built up together over time as each member has made donations.
- All your group members will have an individual online account through which they can check the balance of their common fund.
2. Identifying and discussing Needs
- The common fund is charitable in nature and therefore there are certain rules governing how it can be used. (see Common Change UK Group Fund Policy)
- As your common fund grows any group member has the opportunity to request that some or all of the money in the fund be released to meet a particular need.
- All group members receive details of the request for discussion and voting. The community is fully democratic and nobody gets a bigger say that anyone else.
3. Distributing Gifts
- As a registered charity Common Change UK handles the banking and administration of all the individual Common Change groups in the UK.
- Gifts being released all receive final sign-off from a member of the board of trustees to ensure full accountability.
- A specific member of your Common Change group will take responsibility for confirming that the gift has reached its desired destination.
If all this makes sense to you and you’re ready to begin the Joining Process here’s a summary of the next steps:
1) Click the button below which will take you to Sign Up to the Online Platform
2) Once you have entered your basic details and agreed to the T&Cs you will gain access to the Online Platform.
3) Whilst still logged in to the Online Platform use the search bar in the ‘My Groups’ tab to find the group you’ve been invited to join, and click the button to request to join it.
4) Start giving. Instructions for setting up payments can be found via this link.